August 23, 2012

First Day

As some of you know I have returned to school. It wasn't the easiest choice but I have literally been debating school for 3 years.... or more. It never felt like the right time to go until recently. I want to first explain what made me decide to go back and what I have plans to do with school.

I am a great worker. I try my hardest to get the job accomplished. I haven't always loved my jobs but I deal with what I am handed. The last few years I have been tired of only getting secretary jobs. I enjoy working with others, but sitting in front of a computer and cleaning the office isn't something that makes me feel excited to go to work each day. I want something that challenges me, something that I can use the talents and gifts God gave me. I have known for a long time that my calling in life is to be a mother. I love children I have a passion to work with them. I love watching them grow and seeing them laugh and smile. I am told all the time that because I am not a mother, I don't understand a situation. I am not a mother so I don't know what works to fix a problem with a child. I am not a mother, alright. I understand that but that doesn't mean I don't have some understanding on what it takes to give care to them.

I have nannied plenty of times and most people who know me, call me "Super Nanny". I have a weird connection to kids without even trying sometimes. Kids open up to me and want to be around me. I don't know why but I have always noticed this.

While weighing my options on what I would do in school because I have numerous times considered being an art teacher, but art programs are being cut. So that idea was out. Would I really enjoy being a full time teacher? Teaching numerous subjects? One day last fall, I was watching one of my Favorite TV shows, "Parenthood". One of the young characters has Aspergers. This particular episode was showing the different obstacles these kids go through on a daily basis. It showed how the parents are coping with it and what type of help is needed. Aspergers is a lot like Autism. Here is what Wikipedia says about Aspergers:

Aspergers is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.

Watching "Parenthood" that night I had what many people call my aha moment. I wanted to be someone to help there children out. They are higher functioning than most children with disabilities. They have great memory and need disciplined schedules that you stick to. Most people see this as a difficult career that requires a lot of patience. But for me, I feel that this is where I am to be. I want to help these kids enjoy life to the fullest and not let their disabilities hold them back. As of right now, I will take care of my generals and then move on to special education. I am very excited about my decision and hope that I can work hard to accomplish this goal!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

That is awesome. I taught for 3 years and don't think I would have the patience for it - at least with someone else's child. That takes a lot of love. I'm happy that you have a direction you want to go and are excited about taking it.