July 16, 2008

Private

I just have to say how much it drives me crazy when people go private! I hate when I'm looking at a friends blog and I notice someone else I know in their blog links. I click, and it brings me to a screen telling me I am not invited to this person's blog. They tell me to email this person so I can be invited, well that's impossible when I don't have their email address. They shouldn't call it going private, it's more like the witness protection program. They go in hiding from people on the internet. Don't put up personal information if you think that just anyone can read on your blog. Some say they don't want just anyone to find them on Google. Why would a stranger get your name, type it into Google, and just to read your blog? If a stranger got a hold of your name, I'm sure they would not steal your identity by just reading your blog, they probably would have other ways of learning who you are after they get your SSN or bank account number from another site online, which, let's hope, is not on your blog.

I just needed to vent. People treat their blogs like they are celebrities running from the paparazzi.

10 comments:

elise and jeff said...

I totally agree...its so funny! I would never go "private", hello I want to catch up with people not block them!

california smiths said...

I love that picture and agree where you are coming from. There is a site called statcounter.com that you can put on your blog and you can see who is checking it, how many times they log on, how long they are on for. I went private because I had some person in Africa that was logging onto my site six times a day! Freaked me out to be honest! I hate being private for all the reasons you listed. Maybe I'll go back...

jessica said...

Here's a different spin. Some employers like to "google" potential clients. What if they read something or saw a picture of you doing something on your blog and decided NOT to hire you.

Just Deal with It!

I hate Word Verification, but it doesn't stop me from reading or commenting on your blog.

Jill said...

I agree with Jessica, and hope you still make the effort to read my blog if I ever decide to go private (which I've thought about). And just to vent: Word verification sucks, BUT I still love you!

Abby said...

Laughing.

Anonymous said...

why would you be doing something or write something on your blog that would make people not want to hire you? are you saying you are that inappropiate on your blog that potential clients won't hire your husband, so in order to look decent you keep it private? hmmm... how can i keep in touch with old friends when i can't even view their blogs or get ahold of them because i don't have an email to ask to be invited? not everyone keeps the same jch email for 10 years.

i hate private blogs....
just deal with it.

and word verification keeps spammers from commenting on your blog. you know the stupid people that leave a comment saying 'click here'. ever since i put it up, i haven't had any of those weird comments. love you too.

Megan said...

my thing is, I'm not here for people to find me. I'm here for my family and friends (that I choose) to see what my family and I have been up to. There is a huge world full of child molestors that target the internet and I don't want to take the chance of one seeing my children. These are very intelligent people and they can find personal information even if I don't put it up here...just signing up for a google account asks for a lot of personal information. So anyhow, my point of this is to say...my blog is not made just so people can blog surf, it's made to put information up about my family and I don't want some hacker or random person to see my family.

Amy Tarleton said...

i agree with alison when it comes to the fact that you shouldn't put stuff up people shouldn't see, but i can understand the whole protection issue too. But there should definitely be a way to at least message the person and ask to view their blog...like facebook's Add this person as a Friend and they can confirm it if they want or if they don't know the person, they can leave it alone. i never really understood why we couldn't do that on Blogger.

Jenn said...

A FREAKING MEN! Why go private? I don't get it because honestly is somebody going to be able to hunt you down because they have seen your picture?? Also, like somebody said about a job....my goodness what are you doing that somebody wouldn't hire you for posting about. GEESH! Hey, I doubt employers would mind somebody who has fun. IF you got something to hide that is on you. Alison, I LOVED this post. I completely Agree!!!

Jensen Fam said...

You are too funny! We had a crazy incident with someone just being totally weird and a little scary checking our blog. Since I couldn't control who was looking at it, and the most important thing in the world, my family, I totally opted to go private to keep this one person from being too close to us. I wish it was easier for people to get in touch with those who have gone private. I am pretty sure most of the people that have gone private have had a weird experience. I bet when you have kiddos too you will be totally protective too. :) BTW, if you want to check out my private blog, send me your email address. :) ejjensenfam@hotmail.com